Monday, September 19, 2005

"In some areas, Phở King is a name of an actual restaurant."

So iheartdorks and I decided to branch out a little bit this weekend and went to a Vietnamese resturaunt out here in Spotsylvania called "Pho Saigon." They've got two locations, one of which is only about a mile from the house, and the other of which is only about 1.5 miles from the house. They also have a sparkling review over at the Free-Lance Star, which may mean something, I don't really know. It certainly made me feel a little safer, although since resturaunt reviewers usually love food, and since I generally hate it, that probably wasn't a wise feeling.

Anyways, if you read that review, you'll learn all about the friendly waitress (the daughter of the owners, I believe). Reading the review though doesn't really do her justice, and as we walked into the place, we were greeted with a loud "HELLO! How's it going!" before I could even see past the jungle of plants in the little airlock vestibule thing.

Usually I am put off by overly friendly people, but this lady had a, dare I say, genuine-ness that made my suspicions that it was all just an act grumble quitely to themselves like an old man that no one listens to instead of barking like a chihuahua that no one listens to, but everyone hears anyways. She even made me try to pronounce Vietnamese words, which, under normal circumstances, would be a Fatality, right there in the lobby.

Anyways, I guess pho is a kind of traditional Vietnamese noodle soup. I got the chicken kind, and it was pretty much just chicken soup with rice noodles instead of rice or whatever. I dunno, I don't really eat chicken soup. But it was pretty good. They give you basil leaves, a bit of lime, and some "bean sprouts," which look like roots or something. I didn't eat those. ihd ordered some vegetarian thing, you'll have to ask her about it.

The great thing is a medium bowl of soup is like a whole meal. I mean these things are intimidating they are so big. The reason this is great is they cost only 5$. So it was a 20$ meal with two entrees, appetizers, and drinks. w00t.

Also, their menu has like 5,000 things on it. Actually, it has 136 things on it. That's entrees and appetizers. The dessert menu is seperate. It's kind of ridiculous. They use a lot of exclamation points and are evidently very excited about soup and rice dishes. So excited that they invented 136 of them. I'm not complaining.

Anyways, pretty good experience. Nice to know there is a great, friendly resturaunt in the suburban wilderness of Spotsylvania. (Also right next to the office!).

1 Comments:

At 9/19/2005 11:57:00 PM, Blogger Matthew McDonald said...

DUDE.

i hate overly friendly people as well.

and turn on word verification.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home